July 14, 2020

Florida HUD Senior Housing Resources

If you are a senior citizen seeking affordable housing options, Florida HUD may have a resource to help you fulfill your housing needs:

Florida HUD Senior Housing Resources

• The Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) program allows seniors to convert their home equity into cash by using what is commonly called a reverse mortgage. The amount that may be borrowed is based upon the value of the home and the age of the borrower. The borrowed money is then advanced against the value of the home. Interest accrues on the outstanding loan balance, but the mortgage must not be paid until the home is sold or the borrower dies. For more information on HECM, please visit: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/hecm/hecmabou.

• Public Housing provides safe, decent rental housing to low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. In this program, HUD administers aid to the local agencies that provide the housing. If you would like to search the HUD database of multifamily units for the elderly and persons with disabilities, please visit: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/mfh/hto/inventorysurvey. To find Florida Public Housing, click: http://www.hud.gov/local/fl/working/localpo/pih.cfm .

• The Housing Choice Voucher Program, also known as Section 8, is an assistance program that helps low-income families pay their rent. Section 8 participants are responsible for finding their own housing and contributing a percentage of their income toward the monthly rent. The Section 8 program is then responsible for paying the remainder of the rent to the participant’s landlord. If you would like to search the HUD database of subsidized properties, please visit: http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/.

Keep Reading…

To return to the main Florida HUD Housing Guide page, click here: Florida HUD Housing Guide

Still Have Questions?

If you still have questions about Florida HUD Housing that you have not found an answer to, please post your questions in the comment box below and we will do our best to answer your question as quickly as possible. Please note that your comment will be public, so do not post any information that you do not want to be made public.

Stay Informed About Florida HUD Housing

To stay informed about all of the latest Florida HUD Housing news and to be notified when HUDHousingHandbook.com is updated, subscribe to our HUD Housing Newsletter

Want to Help Spread The Word About HUDHousingHandbook.com?

Tell your friends about HUDHousingHandbook.com using Facebook or Twitter, or one of the other social media sites. Just click one of the handy sharing buttons on this post, or you can find all of our social media contact info here: HUDHousingHandbook.com Social Media Contacts


  1. Constance Durrah says:

    Please work with me to return my voucher to Ohio. I am contacting usa.gov/hud to appeal the law of keeping my voucher for 12 months. I am sick both mentally and physically. I cannot walk around my mind is in a Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and I have IBS. The whole experience in Pensacola was taking too long and I never did recieve any medical assistance which lead to two major meltdowns and I had to return to Cleveland, Ohio.
    I did sign a lease on October 4, 2014 and stayed in that unsafe enviroment for only one week leaving on the Greyhound October 11, 2014. Pensacola had a major flood in April which affected the major list of housing available. The terms listed in the lease I signed seem to be unlawful. I am having a review of my lease by the law depatment at Cleveland State University. I do owe the Landlord the entire amount. However, I wish to return my voucher to Cuyahoga
    County(216-271-2591 or 216-271-2519) Mrs. Dorothy Mc Carthy Please contact me at 850-760-3265

Speak Your Mind