July 30, 2021

Kentucky HUD Voucher Program (Section 8)

The Kentucky Housing Choice Voucher Program, also known as Kentucky Section 8, is a federal assistance program administered by the state that helps individuals on a low income with the payment of their rent. Kentucky Section 8 program participants are responsible for finding their own housing and contributing a percentage of their income toward the cost of rent. The Housing Choice Voucher program is then responsible for paying the remaining percentage directly to the participant’s landlord.

Kentucky HUD Voucher Program - Section 8

In order to participate in the program, one must meet the Kentucky Housing Choice Voucher program eligibility requirements. Eligibility is determined based on the annual gross income and size of the household. Generally, the income should not exceed 50% of the median income for the county of desired residence. Median income levels are determined by your local HUD office or housing authority, and are likely to vary by location.

Before you can be approved to participate in the Kentucky Housing Choice Voucher program, your financial information will be examined by your local housing authority. Your bank, employer and other government agencies may be contacted during this process. Note that Section 8 applicants must be U.S. Citizens or fall into a category of specified non-citizens who are eligible for immigration.

If you are eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher program, you will either begin receiving assistance or your name will be placed on a waiting list. How much assistance you receive will be mathematically determined by your local housing authority.

Keep Reading…

To return to the main Kentucky HUD Housing Guide page, click here: Kentucky HUD Housing Guide

Still Have Questions?

If you still have questions about Kentucky HUD Housing that you have not found an answer to, please post your questions in the comment box below and we will do our best to answer your question as quickly as possible. Please note that your comment will be public, so do not post any information that you do not want to be made public.

Stay Informed About Kentucky HUD Housing

To stay informed about all of the latest Kentucky HUD Housing news and to be notified when HUDHousingHandbook.com is updated, subscribe to our HUD Housing Newsletter

Want to Help Spread The Word About HUDHousingHandbook.com?

Tell your friends about HUDHousingHandbook.com using Facebook or Twitter, or one of the other social media sites. Just click one of the handy sharing buttons on this post, or you can find all of our social media contact info here: HUDHousingHandbook.com Social Media Contacts


  1. The average median income for Webster County, Kentucky where my husband, our two children, and I reside is $37,510. 50% of that would be $18,755. Our annual income is $11,064. We qualify for Section 8 housing programs. I know this because I currently live a HUD housing complex. We pay 33% of market rent value. My question is this… If we reside in Webster County, Kentucky but the house we are looking at is in Hopkins County, Kentucky then when we apply, do we have to apply in Hopkins County or Webster County? If we apply in Webster County and receive a voucher…. is the voucher good for a home in Hopkins County, Kentucky? How long is the waiting list to receive Section 8 benefits on rental homes? I understand the list will be long for buying, but is it shorter for renting?

    Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
    Charlette Jennings
    Webster County, KY

  2. Billie says:

    I am homeless, jobless, and pregnant. I lost everything I had. An apartent, car, job, etc. Can they deny me because I dont have a job? I applied for Boone County HUD/section 8 but I dont have a permanent residence. I go from place to place friends house to family memebrs house back and fourth. Also what can I expect at the interview. I do recieve food stamps and medical coverage and I had to use the food stamp office as my address. Any feedback would be helpful thank you.

  3. Michelle Nichols says:

    My kids’ paternal grandfather wants to rent me a house, would I be able to use my voucher to rent it?

Speak Your Mind