July 14, 2020

California HUD Voucher Program (Section 8)

The California Housing Choice Voucher Program, also known as California Section 8, is a federal assistance program administered by the state that helps individuals on a low income with the payment of their rent. California Section 8 program participants are responsible for finding their own housing and contributing a percentage of their income toward the cost of rent. The Housing Choice Voucher program is then responsible for paying the remaining percentage directly to the participant’s landlord.

California HUD Voucher Program - Section 8

In order to participate in the program, one must meet the California Housing Choice Voucher program eligibility requirements. Eligibility is determined based on the annual gross income and size of the household. Generally, the income should not exceed 50% of the median income for the county of desired residence. Median income levels are determined by your local HUD office or housing authority, and are likely to vary by location.

Before you can be approved to participate in the California Housing Choice Voucher program, your financial information will be examined by your local housing authority. Your bank, employer and other government agencies may be contacted during this process. Note that Section 8 applicants must be U.S. Citizens or fall into a category of specified non-citizens who are eligible for immigration.

If you are eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher program, you will either begin receiving assistance or your name will be placed on a waiting list. How much assistance you receive will be mathematically determined by your local housing authority.

Keep Reading…

To return to the main California HUD Housing Guide page, click here: California HUD Housing Guide

Still Have Questions?

If you still have questions about California HUD Housing that you have not found an answer to, please post your questions in the comment box below and we will do our best to answer your question as quickly as possible. Please note that your comment will be public, so do not post any information that you do not want to be made public.

Stay Informed About California HUD Housing

To stay informed about all of the latest California HUD Housing news and to be notified when HUDHousingHandbook.com is updated, subscribe to our HUD Housing Newsletter

Want to Help Spread The Word About HUDHousingHandbook.com?

Tell your friends about HUDHousingHandbook.com using Facebook or Twitter, or one of the other social media sites. Just click one of the handy sharing buttons on this post, or you can find all of our social media contact info here: HUDHousingHandbook.com Social Media Contacts


  1. Karen P says:

    My mother currently has a Section 8 Housing Voucher where she lives in Simi Valley, CA. She is moving to an Assisted Living facility which has other residents who use HUD vouchers to live there. The Local AHACV Housing Technician says she can not transfer her voucher to the new facility because the AHACV has it classified as a Skilled Nursing Facility even though it is not a Skilled Nursing Facility.How do I get this changed to its correct description so I can have the HUD Section 8 Voucher transferred to the new place?

  2. N Lawrence says:

    I am on social security with no other income. Can I get help with my rent and stay in the home that I am living in?

  3. doug mitchell says:

    if your roommate was the primary applicant , an after the waiting period I was approved along with my roommate to be eligible for the voucher program and we have been leasing and condo for the past two years together if we decide we prefer not to live together anymore will I still have my section 8

Speak Your Mind