August 9, 2020

Colorado HUD Voucher Program (Section 8)

The Colorado Housing Choice Voucher Program, also known as Colorado Section 8, is a federal assistance program administered by the state that helps individuals on a low income with the payment of their rent. Colorado Section 8 program participants are responsible for finding their own housing and contributing a percentage of their income toward the cost of rent. The Housing Choice Voucher program is then responsible for paying the remaining percentage directly to the participant’s landlord.

Colorado HUD Voucher Program - Section 8

In order to participate in the program, one must meet the Colorado Housing Choice Voucher program eligibility requirements. Eligibility is determined based on the annual gross income and size of the household. Generally, the income should not exceed 50% of the median income for the county of desired residence. Median income levels are determined by your local HUD office or housing authority, and are likely to vary by location.

Before you can be approved to participate in the Colorado Housing Choice Voucher program, your financial information will be examined by your local housing authority. Your bank, employer and other government agencies may be contacted during this process. Note that Section 8 applicants must be U.S. Citizens or fall into a category of specified non-citizens who are eligible for immigration.

If you are eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher program, you will either begin receiving assistance or your name will be placed on a waiting list. How much assistance you receive will be mathematically determined by your local housing authority.

Keep Reading…

To return to the main Colorado HUD Housing Guide page, click here: Colorado HUD Housing Guide

Still Have Questions?

If you still have questions about Colorado HUD Housing that you have not found an answer to, please post your questions in the comment box below and we will do our best to answer your question as quickly as possible. Please note that your comment will be public, so do not post any information that you do not want to be made public.

Stay Informed About Colorado HUD Housing

To stay informed about all of the latest Colorado HUD Housing news and to be notified when is updated, subscribe to our HUD Housing Newsletter

Want to Help Spread The Word About

Tell your friends about using Facebook or Twitter, or one of the other social media sites. Just click one of the handy sharing buttons on this post, or you can find all of our social media contact info here: Social Media Contacts


  1. Lynda Campbell says:

    I am on Section 8. My landlord recently raised the rent by $85 a month. (not the type where the landlord has to have permission to raise the rent) They have a form you can fill out to transfer the lease. I wanted to transfer from a two bedroom to a one bedroom. When I brought the form back, the landlord said that instead they would issue me a one bedroom lease when this lease runs out.

    My question is what would I do if there is not a one bedroom available when my lease runs out. I cannot afford to go on a month to month lease because this would be $165 over what housing will pay.

Speak Your Mind